Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 6 Prompt


For this week's prompt, I took to Pinterest to get some ideas of an integrated library display for the horror genre.  The first thing I ran across is the image to the right. I pinned this early last year for my teen room bulletin board in October, but I ended up decorating for Teen Read Week instead.

Besides the large, eye-catching artwork of the monster, slime, and text, the little pictures depict staff members reading.  

I would specifically ask staff to share their favorite horror-book for this themed display.  The only thing I don't like about the image is that there isn't room to display actual items in this display.  I would utilize a bulletin board rather than a glassed in case and move a bookcase under the bulletin board to continue the display.  The image at right is another Pinterest idea, continuing the slime theme and allowing for display of actual library materials.

The bookcase would allow for an integrated advisory display. I would not only put horror-themed books, but a variety of library materials.
_______________________________________

My idea pitch:

For October, I propose highlighting the teen horror genre via a decorative bulletin board that incorporates our staff reading their favorite horror book.  This will serve two purposes:  each staff pick serves as passive readers' advisory and teens will be able to match a staff member's face to a name.  This may make them feel more comfortable to come to the service desk with question they have.  Secondly, I would like to utilize our spare bookcase and tie in similar decorative elements so that the bulletin board and bookcase run seamlessly together.  I would place a variety of library materials on the bookcase: teen horror books, matching books on CD, Playaways, themed-magazines, graphic novels, and faux books and magazines to advertise our 3M Cloud Library eBooks and Flipster service.

I feel that this display will appeal not only to teens but also adults who enjoy reading young adult literature and the horror genre.  It will also fit in well with our other decorations for the upcoming Frightful Friday trick-or-treating event at the end of October.

4 comments:

  1. I used the slime idea (from that very pin!) to go along with last year's summer reading science theme! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the slime idea (from that very pin!) to go along with last year's summer reading science theme! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the staff pick display! It does help familiarize patrons with staff and recommendations could be movies or books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea to include staff picks and then display them. I always take notice when a friend, book reviewer, or a library/bookstore staff recommends a book. If they liked it, I might too.

    ReplyDelete