Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Reading Profile

I love to read, but unfortunately between school, work, and being a mom to an active toddler, I rarely get the chance to get lost in a book just for fun.  My favorite genre is romantic suspense.  I stumbled across this genre about five years ago and I was instantly hooked. I also enjoy mysteries and the occasional classic.  My least favorite genre is westerns with historical fiction a close second.  The only historical fiction novels that I like have to have an additional element such as mystery to keep me invested.  Currently, I am reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell for the second time this year because it is the book we are discussing for my February YA Lit Lover's Goodreads Book Club.  You don't have to be a patron of the Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library to join.  Check it out at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/136034-mphpl-teens.

On the left, you'll find my top five books of the month.  It's a mix of children's, teen, and adult books because I like reading all along the spectrum.  I tend to read books in series rather than stand alone books. It's a good feeling to invest in characters and have something familiar to look forward to every year (or agonize over if the author is a slow writer!).  I have also started reading urban fiction so one or two of those titles might pop up on my top five list in the upcoming months!

My top five series of all time are:
  1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
  2. Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
  3. Heather Wells series by Meg Cabot
  4. Bodymovers series by Stephanie Bond
  5. Dollanganger series by V.C. Andrews
My top five stand-alone books of all time are:
  1. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  2. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  4. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
  5. The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon (yes, it did have a sequel, but the first book can standalone!)
I'm looking forward to the genre exploration because it will give me a chance to read new authors in some genres I love as well as explore new genres that I've previously avoided.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Dollanganger series too! I read those books countless times when I was younger (along with a good number of her other series). I had forgotten how much I loved them until the TV movies came out this past year. I immediately ran to my used bookstore to purchase all of them again!

    ReplyDelete