Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Week 13 Prompt

This week's discussion particularly hits home for me because I am passionate about graphic novels as well as Young Adult literature.  Until I started in my position as Young Adult librarian, I had no idea just how important graphic novels were to teens and adults.  As a Children's Assistant, our collection was popular and I knew it helped draw in reluctant readers, but talking to the teens opened up a whole new world of possibilities.  Manga especially has been a huge learning experience for me this year.

I truly believe that adults should read graphic novels and YA lit.  Graphic novels aimed towards adults are not just little cartoon strips to pass the time.  Some of the titles published are truly works of art.  For example, Gene Luen Yang's Boxers & Saints has a fantastic story and the artwork is crisp and lends itself well to drawing the reader in and sparking emotion in a way that text alone could not.  Some of today's popular TV series such as The Walking Dead also started out in graphic novel format.  While some might turn up their nose to 'reading with pictures,' graphic novels provide an inclusive experience and entertainment value.  While discussed more in support of children's graphic novels than adult graphic novels, the vocabulary and language found within graphic novels tends to be higher as artists and writers must choose words carefully so as to create the perfect balance between dialogue and artistry.

One of the best ways that we can support adults graphic novel reading experience is to maintain a current thorough collection.  Perhaps the comment I receive most often is that libraries will start a graphic novel series and then just stop ordering leaving the patron in the middle of a series and forced to wait for interlibrary loans or purchase items themselves.  Often libraries will stop ordering when series grow extremely large, common for many manga titles.  I once took a webinar that mentioned that libraries need to take into consideration the possibility that a series will grow large and should commit themselves to following along for the ride. If patrons begin to feel like the library will continuously end a series they may stop checking out graphic novels as they won't feel their reading interests are supported. Another great way to promote and encourage reading of graphic novels is to have a ComicCon at your library.  MPHPL will be holding our first ComicCon in June (organized by yours truly) and I have already seen more than one adult freak out excitedly when I've mentioned it.

As for YA fiction, as someone who reads across all levels, I struggle to think that some people would look down on adults that read teen fiction. Then again, I remember that over in England during the Harry Potter explosion, the publisher created 'adult' covers for those adults reading the book on the train so they wouldn't feel judged.  As an avid reader, I can sometimes forget that people might think someone reading a teen book might be a struggling reader and have to 'read down.'  The truth is that "A survey in 2012 showed that 55% of YA readers are actually adults" (Howlett).  This promising statistic alone is proof that we should ensure that adults are welcome and encouraged to read teen fiction.  So many people don't realize that teen fiction can be just as intricate, if not more, than adult reads (Harlequin, I'm looking at you!).  This past year, a fellow YA librarian and I started a YA Lit Lovers Goodreads club for teens and adults.  Unfortunately, we couldn't gain interest via Goodreads, but patrons said they would have been interested in a face-to-face book club.  Another way that I would like to see YA integrated is for a title or two to be added into the rotation of our regular adult book clubs.  The overarching reach of books like The Book Thief and The Fault in Our Stars shows that the demand is there across age groups. A recent article from The Guardian explains that "A dominant part of any book's success is its escapist appeal, and YA excels at providing this" (Howlett). Another great reason that adults are reading YA books is that "they can often remind older readers of their childhoods and teenage years, making them a comforting presence for those who just refuse to grow up and embrace their boring, often excitement-free adult lives" (Howlett).  While my exterior may grow older, I am a proud member of the group who will always internally clutch their childhood tight.  Children's and YA fiction is just one of the ways that I can keep that youthful spirit and memories alive.



Works Cited

Howlett, Georgina. "Why Are So Many Adults Reading YA and Teen Fiction?"  The Guardian.  Guardian News, 24 Feb. 2015. Web. 8 Apr. 2015.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your ComicCon event. I'm sure it will be a blast! There's some interest in holding one at my library too, but they are testing the waters with a series of monthly "Fandoms Unite" programs first. (Think Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Sherlock, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Broadway Musicals, etc.) They're being marketed as teen programs, but wouldn't you know, there's a bunch of adults showing interest, too! -Laura J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about committing to following series along for the ride! We do this with popular authors of "normal" (non-graphic novel) books (we have all 49 of J.D. Robb's "In Death" books), and graphic novels deserve the same attention and care. And you're right, the way that these books are treated can show whether the library cares, or at least the perception of whether the library cares or not. They need to be treated with the same care as other formats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, you make a great point. Our library also has all the "in death" books by Robb as well as series from Patterson and Evanovich. Patrons expect that we will continue to stock those books and they should be able to expect that we will carry full series in other formats, too.

    Jennifer, I'm glad you brought up the adult Harry Potter book covers because I distinctly remember my mom lamenting that she wouldn't be able to get one and really wanted to read the books. Surprise on her when it turns out no one cared that she read a book with a "childish" cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, you make a great point. Our library also has all the "in death" books by Robb as well as series from Patterson and Evanovich. Patrons expect that we will continue to stock those books and they should be able to expect that we will carry full series in other formats, too.

    Jennifer, I'm glad you brought up the adult Harry Potter book covers because I distinctly remember my mom lamenting that she wouldn't be able to get one and really wanted to read the books. Surprise on her when it turns out no one cared that she read a book with a "childish" cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Committing to finishing out a series when ordering graphic novels or manga is a great way to ensure support for patrons reading these genres. I have to wonder though about space to house all these series. I know a problem I have run into quite often when getting manga titles for my teens, is that the library is only willing to buy one copy of these titles. So if someone doesn't return one or it gets damaged then the reader is left without that book in the series. Or at least left waiting until they agree to purchase another one. It almost makes me want to encourage those who like this genre to start reading these materials in ebook format. Possibly the library would be willing to order more titles because the problem of space and damage is eliminated then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I am in South Bend and hope to connect with the ComicCon in June.
    One of the things I value with reading genres we are discussing is that it helps me to know what the issues are that other people are discussing, thinking about, experiencing. They tend to deal with relationships or hopes for the future. I have my relationships and hope, but how do other people experience these?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Along with the issue of keeping up with a series, I would also argue that the series needs to be consistently present in the same library building. With libraries that have multiple branches, it is frustrating to learn that volume 1 and 3 are here, but volumes 2 and 4 are somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff - Fantastic! Would love to meet you. I agree that it is important to keep a series together. As for those who comment on the room it takes to store large series - somehow libraries do tend to find room for that new Evanovich or Patterson so I feel that we should be the same with graphic novels. If you are a system with multiple branches, perhaps each location keeps one of the large series to share the wealth. I am also pickier on the series that I get. If I know I'm committing to another potentially large series, the series has to bring something new to the field before I add it.

    The other difficulty I'm having is figuring out where to draw the line in the teen room. Many MANY manga are labeled T+ and some teens have told me 'no, this belongs in the teen room' or even 'I think you should put this in adult' but there's really no way of knowing unless you commit to reading them all beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Library ComicCon is such a great idea! We've got lots of adult patrons that love graphic novels, and the adult collection of them that we've started includes some truly beautiful books. ComicCon would be a creative way to expose patrons to our collection. I'm not sure what we have in the way of eBook versions of graphic novels, but I wonder if adults would be more apt to check them out since, as you mentioned, sometimes adults are embarrassed to be seen reading books "beneath" their age level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very interested in giving Boxers and Saints a try, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete