Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Week 14 Prompt

I struggle with my decision of whether to separate out or keep titles in with the regular fiction.  At the library where I work, we've separated out the urban fiction collection and we've noticed an increase in circulation for these items.  Most patrons are thrilled that they can just go to one section and not have to remember authors, titles, etc. and can truly browse the genre they want all in one place.  We have only had one complaint about separating out the urban fiction because they did feel like it promoted segregation.  That is one reason why I would not separate out LGBTQ fiction - I encourage people stumbling upon a book that they may not have read otherwise.  I just don't know if I have a good reason why I feel one way about one collection and another way about a different collection.The reasons I have for separating out urban fiction are:
  • It's a popular genre in our community - more popular than for say Westerns, which are also separated out.
  • It's a collection patrons like to browse, but get frustrated if they have to browse shelf after shelf to find one or two scattered among Evanovich and Patterson. A great NoveList article I found warns that libarians should "Be aware that many readers of urban fiction will be new to the library -- and if they discover that there is no separate section for urban fiction books (most libraries don't have one), they may be frustrated or unwilling to return" (Zellers).
  • Patrons are sometimes embarrassed to ask a librarian where to find urban fiction, especially if they don't know the genre is CALLED urban fiction. For example, I had a patron come up to me after circling around the desk waiting for our male librarian to leave and ask (in a whisper) if the library had any 'African American steamy books...y'know the ones with lesbians, drugs, money...' When I showed her the urban fiction section, I told her I had read a couple, and talked to her a few moments. She began to laugh loudly, gave me a hug, and proclaimed me the most awesome librarian ever and our library as the best ever.  No small feat! 
  • Urban fiction accounts for a good number of our missing books. We often find covers torn and stuffed away in shelves. By pulling the collection together in an area that is covered well by the security cameras, we've seen less instances of defacing.
Even though stumbling across an urban fiction book in the regular fiction section is a benefit, sometimes patrons will still turn away.  One way that we have gotten staff trying out urban fiction is to make it a required spot on our Winter Reading Bingo.  We also want to try this with our patrons in the future. This way, we're not requiring it, but for people that are willing to read outside their zone (and are competitive!), this might be a way to snag new, unexpected readers.While the YA rooms do not have large urban fiction collections, I have pulled out the titles and made a small display.  Before we separated out the adult urban fiction collection (and ordered a great deal of new books to make a great starting collection), I would see adults browsing my small display.
__________________________________________________________
I don't believe that LGBTQ fiction should be separated and I know that sounds so contradictory to what I just wrote!  But, just like I wouldn't put a book in the urban fiction section for having an African American or Latino character, nor would I put a book in a whole separate section just because of sexual preference.The reasons I have for not separating our LGBTQ fiction are:
  • Keeping titles within the regular fiction (or in which the appropriate genre - mystery, adventure, sci-fi, etc.) allows patrons to pick up a book and read the synopsis without automatically putting a sexual slant towards it.  Many books with LGBTQ are not sexual in nature, but some people's minds automatically "go there."
  • Those patrons who may not have 'come out' yet would not feel comfortable hanging out in a collection with a large sign over it to search for books. I found a really nice article from Lambda Literary by blogger Lucas J.W. Johnson who summed it up perfectly: "I don't think most LGBT books would be particularly less appealing to straight readers. I read about straight characters all the time" ("Rethinking the LGBT Book Shelf"). He also wishes that books could be in a separate section and together, but for libraries will small budgets, that would prove too costly ("Rethinking the LGBT Book Shelf").  This reasoning is especially true for young adults and the YA room.
  • The library aims to be an inclusive place.  By separating out LGBTQ fiction, which is oftentimes a small collection, the library could be seen as an exclusive place instead.
The reason I would have for separating out the collection is just the same as Urban Fiction - to make it easier for people to find the books they want about the subjects they want to read about.  Then again, I feel that if we segment every part of our collection, we are doing more disorganization than organization because so many books can fall into multiple 'niches' and who is to say that one 'niche' is more important than another?  I also think that genres should be based on a theme rather than the individual characters.  This is the primary reason why urban fiction is distinctive in my argument from LGBTQ fiction.  Urban fiction is about the grittiness and realness of urban life.  LGBTQ fiction can be any genre and LGBTQ characters can get a starring role or just a small scene.The main reason I have for not separating out urban fiction is because I don't want anyone to feel that we're segregating a race.  Urban fiction has primarily African American characters and situations, but many of the books also feature others such as Latinos and occasionally Caucasians.  Urban fiction is more about the landscape and the common issues of living an urban life and I don't know that a lot of people realize that distinction.


Works Cited
Johnson, Lucas J.W.  "Rethinking the LGBT Book Shelf."  Lambda Literary. 27 Jan. 2011.  Web. 14 Apr. 2015.
Zellers, Jessica.  "Getting Up to Speed in Urban Fiction."  NoveList.  EBSCO, 2013.  Web. 14 Apr. 2015.


7 comments:

  1. It's such a difficult decision but I think that you have done a good job understanding the distinctions. I am generally opposed to separating books by genre in libraries, but if you are going to separate, Urban Fiction is an appropriate genre, and LGBTQ fiction is not. I shudder at the idea of somebody exploring their sexuality who may not want that broadcast being forced to decide whether they should browse the section, knowing that someone might see them and know something private about them that they don't want to share, or if they should just not read a book that they would benefit from reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on all points.

    An example of African American literature that is not Urban and could be deemed Christian fiction is author Kimberla Lawson Roby. I have her on my to read list. She has been recommended to me by patrons who know I enjoy Christian fiction. She is interfiled in the Fiction section at our branch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your opinions on each "genre" are interesting. I do not know a lot about either "genre" so this topic is a bit new to me. It is a difficult decision just like Jenny mentioned so how do you make it. Your justifications make a lot of sense and shows that this is not the first time you have thought something like this through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This topic is so interesting because I don't think there is a right answer. I think a big part of the decision lies with the library and what the readers prefer. I think you make a good point about patrons not knowing what different genres are called. It's hard to ask for a genre if you don't know the term. I think what ever decision a library makes, much research is necessary. It's also important for the library to make a list of pros and cons. This is definitely not an easy situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think that having genre sections is useful. I had not thought of the security angle. I am glad that there is less damage to books now that the urban lit has its own place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer- you have some compelling arguments for separation of Urban Lit! It is not a popular genre in the library where I worked for the last two years, so I hadn't fully realized the arguments for pulling it out until this weeks readings and your post. I may have to revise my opinions (I am usually all for interfiling).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the quote from Johnson; how true!

    ReplyDelete